The Diary of a Displaced Housewife is now Life In Fuchsia…


'The Diary of the Displaced Housewife' is now 'Life in Fuschia'

Monday, April 19, 2010

Tomato Coriander Chutney



I don’t know why I seem to be on a chutneys bend! Speaking of chutneys, do drop into the awesome eatery of the same name (I’m talking about Chutneys silly!) in Hyderabad. Their pesarattu is really good and so is everything else on their menu!

Coming to the topic on hand… chutneys of course.  The recipe I share with you is my grandmother’s. My late aunt spotted it in a magazine ages ago and that’s when my grandmother starting making it.  This is one of my most favoritest things in the world. It’s so good that I’ve been known to drink it straight out of the container! Well, its healthy so no complaints! Also it’s nice to know the compulsive recipe clipping from magazines is genetic and that I’m not completely insane. (R, are you listening?)

The recipe is genius in its simplicity with the right mix of a few choice ingredients. Yet at the same time, it never fails to bring back memories of home, mommy’s cooking and family gathered at the table. Somebody pass me a Kleenex…




Nanamma’s Tomato Dhania Chutney

What you need:
3 large Tomatoes
¼ bunch Coriander
3 – 4 Green Chilies (Adjust to taste)
Salt to taste
1 – 2 tsp Oil

Getting down to business:
1). Chop the tomatoes into big pieces. There is no need to make 'em look good as they’re going for a ride in the food processor. Chop the green chilies into big pieces too and rough chop the coriander.
2). Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add in the tomatoes and chilies. Add in the salt. Stir well to combine.

Look at those colors... love the bright red tomatoes!

3). Once the tomatoes slowly start to break down (there is no need to get them completely mushy), add in the coriander. Let it wilt down. Cool the mixture.
4). Puree the mixture in a food processor/ mixer/ magic bullet (Jeez… how are we supposed to keep track?!!) till smooth.  Serve.

To Serve:
This is the chutney you whip up when you’re pressed for time or when you just crave simple food. Its great with stuffed rotis as it is with idlies. Oh, and did I mention its killer as a dip with warm toasty JalapeƱo cheese bread?



No comments:

Post a Comment